Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Too Few Americans Bear The Burdens Of War

Defense secretary Robert Gates, speaking said Wednesday that most Americans have grown too detached from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and see military service as "something for other people to do."
This on a personal level distresses me.  My son has enlisted into the U.S. Army Infantry Division so this comment strikes very close to home.


In a speech Wednesday at Duke University, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/robert-gates-war-burdens-too-few-bear_n_744536.html, Gates said this disconnect has imposed a heavy burden on a small segment of society and wildly driven up the costs of maintaining an all-volunteer force.


Because fewer Americans see military service as their duty, troops today face repeated combat tours and long separations from family. The 2.4 million people serving in the armed forces today represent less than 1 percent of the country's total population.


It appears that Americans have forgotten their sense of duty.  We as Americans have chosen to let everyone/anyone else serve the cause as long as it wasn't them.
Why is it right that someone elses son or daughter die serving our country and not mine.  Of course I hope that it never comes to that, but I can't let myself feel that it is someone elses obligation to fight for our freedom.
I just hope that I never need to go through the pain that a child's death brings.  My son is as precious to my wife and I just as your son or daughter is precious to you.  
Please pray for the sons and daughters of your fellow Americans just as I hope that the world prays for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment